Gwiddle is a non-profit based in the United Kingdom, setting the standards for low-cost student web hosting and Computer Science education. Used internationally, with a volunteer crew from a variety of different backgrounds and locations, our work has reached hundreds of students of all ages across the world.
We are committed to our volunteers, striving to provide the best experience possible. We aim to be an organisation volunteers can be proud of, and fully support our team with whatever personal or professional undertakings they may have. Volunteering with Gwiddle can be used towards extra-curricular awards and qualifications such as the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, where it can count towards your Volunteering or Skill modules.
You will be a key player in Gwiddle’s development department – you will be responsible for the design, development and ongoing maintenance of PHP applications within the organisation, and potentially be involved in the development of exciting new resources to help Gwiddle continue its mission.
- Responsibility for the day-to-day maintenance of the organisation’s PHP software projects
- Working alongside other members in your team to ensure software projects are completed to a high standard within a reasonable period of time
- Developing project specifications, planning the execution of the project, and delivering it
- Liaising with other departments such as Operations and Support to ensure information about software deployment, changes to systems, etc are communicated quickly and effectively.
- Appropriately managing time and making effective use of task management and bug tracking systems such as Phabricator.
We would prefer:
- Candidates with an existing portfolio of projects built with PHP
- Familiarity and working knowledge with the Laravel framework
- Considerable ability in working with front-end technologies and web design
- Existing experience with using Gwiddle’s services
- Candidates with existing experience with the use of Git
Other responsibilities include:
- Demonstrating a professional and courteous attitude
- Abiding by Gwiddle’s Volunteer Agreement
- Becoming familiar with Gwiddle’s services and their use.
- Working with other volunteers to ensure a high quality service is provided to everyone.
We will prioritise registered STEM Ambassadors, individuals studying Computer Science or a related subject at any level, and those who can demonstrate a clear interest in the work we do.
Apply Now – This will take you to the volunteer opportunities application form. Please attach a portfolio or examples of prior work when prompted.